Dual-core technology combines two independent processors and their respective caches onto a single processor chip. This helps increase system performance so the processor can simultaneously handle multiple threads at a faster rate, helping to reduce lag time when running more than one application. A thread is a single stream of data through the processor. Each application generates its own or multiple threads. A dual-core processor boosts multitasking computing power and improves the throughput of multithreaded applications.
A dual processor system contains two independent processors on two separate processor chips. A dual processor system has separate chip hardware and resources are not shared between the two processors. Having a motherboard capable of hosting two separate processor chips is a more expensive approach to improve performance.
Why has Hostway expanded its server offerings to include new Dell dual-core servers?
- Increased performance: latest dual-core, 64-bit computing for large workloads and data-intensive applications, close to twice the performance of previous-generation single core processors
- Increased memory: up to 32GB of memory capacity enabling processing of larger data sets, keeping more critical data closer to the processing cores, and enabling enhanced memory-based reliability and availability capabilities
- Increased storage: up to 600GB Serial-Attached SCSI (SAS) drives at 15K rpm, offering new levels of performance, flexibility and availability achieved through hardware based RAID
- Increased reliability: fully buffered DIMMs simultaneously boost memory, bandwidth, capacity, and reliability, removing the memory access bottlenecks. Also improving security through advanced redundancy and error checking features
- Increased throughput: new dual independent buses, with higher bandwidth between processors and chipset
- Increased flexibility: achieve greater utilization by simultaneously hosting 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems and applications with Intel Virtualization Technology
- Reduced cost: with dual-core processor technology there is no added cost of a second physical processor. Licensing costs are also lower since a dual-core chip is considered a single processor.
Hostway now makes these advantages available to you with our new and advanced dual-core product line.